Thursday, July 30, 2020

                                                "Now it is your turn..."
                               Now it is 'our' turn.
                     'We can never go back!'

 "...          When you see something that is not right, not fair, not just, you have to speak up. You have to say something; you have to do something...." -John Lewis   
                                            Be hopeful. Be optimistic. Never lose that sense of hope.  -John Lewis                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
      In an op-ed authored shortly before his death and published on the day of his funeral by The New York Times, the Georgia Democrat reflected upon his own calling to join the civil rights movement following the lynching of Emmett Till.


                                                        The man was a living, walking every day  definition of courage



  "..John Lewis: ..When I was growing up in rural Alabama, 50 miles from Montgomery, outside of a little town called Troy, I would see those signs that said 'white waiting,' 'colored waiting,' 'white men,' 'colored men,' 'white women,' 'colored women.' I asked my mother, my father, my grandparents, my great-grandparents, 'Why?' And they said, 'That’s the way it is. Don’t get in the way. Don’t get in trouble.' ......But I was inspired to get in the way, to get in trouble..


             "Emmet Till,..He was 'my' George Floyd"'....                    ..Here, his lynching by a southern white mob....remembered.                
Do grown men cry? Some do. This one did, his wife, Florita, she cried too.

'Walking with the Wind'......I believe in freedom of speech, but I also believe that we have an obligation to condemn speech that is racist, bigoted, anti-Semitic, or hateful.” ― John Robert Lewis.
Ken Humphrey

1 comment:

  1. An amazing man. Grateful for his life. I can’t imagine the love in his heart to be so kind and forgiving. Vote. Vote. Vote.

    ReplyDelete